Persons confined in a hospital

Who may contest and how?

The person under confinement may contest the continuance of confinement in hospital if he believes that :

  • he no more represent a danger to himself or to the public; or
  • his confinement has ended according to the criteria under the Act.

Any other person who demonstrates a particular interest in this person (for example, a family member or friend) may also contest the continuance of the confinement.

Any person who wishes to contest the confinement must send a letter addressed to the Tribunal which sets out the grounds for contesting the confinement. Note that this does not have the effect of suspending the confinement—in other words, the person under confinement will continue to be kept in the hospital as long as the Tribunal or the hospital has not decided to put an end to the confinement.

Web Design by Egzakt